[Zope-dev] Re: zope.sqlalchemy

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue May 6 17:24:17 EDT 2008

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the input!

Michael Bayer wrote:
[snip]
> So I've already not liked save_on_init for a couple of years due to its
> inherent intrusiveness, and because SA historically does not like being
> in the business of providing framework features (though we have decided
> to stay in that arena to some degree with declarative and scoped_session).

I'll try to summarize the discussion so I can find out whether I
understand it. Basically you're saying you don't think save on
instantiation is a good idea generally, and that we should be using
session.save(). This is going to be changed to session.add() in the
future. What would session.add_all() do?

This ties into the mapper feature, which also offers other features. The
one feature that will remain but in a new shape, without the mapper, is
the ability to do MyClass.query.

Is that a correct summary?

Regards,

Martijn