[Zope-dev] zope.testing console script

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue May 20 06:24:23 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 08:32:28AM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> > On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 7:43 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>
> wrote:
> > > Is there a reason to advocate zope.testing over the others? Would it
> > > perhaps make more sense to use one of the more widely used tools
> instead
> > > of maintaing our own testing toolkit?
> >
> > I'd also like for us to adopt one of the more widely used test
> > runners, but as mentioned in replies, there are some features in
> > zope.testing that we depend on.  If someone were adequately motivated
> > and had sufficient time (neither of which I have, so I suspect no one
> > else does either), it would be interesting to attempt to endue another
> > test runner with the features we need (layers, etc.).
>
> I like our test runner and spent time refactoring it so we can actually
> start
> making changes again. I looked at other test runners (nose, py.test) and
> didn't find anything compelling (to me) that we didn't already have.
>
> Christian

I am on Christian's side here: zope.testing is a great tool, used by many
people,
and with strong features,

it looks like it does not need a lot of work to be usable without a buildout
environment,
and to have modern features nose and py.test provides.

At least :

1. the console script (I'll add that in the trunk asap in any case)
2. being able to write tests without subclassing TestCase, in functions and
classes (regexp based+ wrapping)
3. being able to create suites without any extra boiler-plate code, like
nose does (afaik)

Christian, are you willing to work on 2. and 3. ?

++
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org