[Zope-dev] Zope and Storm (SQL)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat May 24 05:28:37 EDT 2008

--On 24. Mai 2008 10:47:54 +0200 Jürgen kartnaller
<juergen.kartnaller at gmail.com> wrote:

> There seems to be some interest on the use of SQL databases with Zope.
>
> Lovelysystems is now using SQL databases as the primary storage for their
> applications. We use Zope and Postgres with Storm as ORM.
> The main reason for switching to SQL database were speed issues with
> queries.

Thanks for this interesting mail.

Some questions:

- how to you deal with binary large objects?

- how do you deal with changes in the data model and
  related migrations?

- how do you deal with hierarchical or semi-structured data
  (e.g. SGML, XML)?

We are working and building hybrid solutions on top of Zope 2 since years
where parts of the data is stored within the ZODB and metadata is stored
within Postgres and this worked out pretty well. I would disagree that a
RDBMS is the best solution for every particular usecase. The decision for
the backend storage must be made for every project - either use the ZODB, a
RDBMS or a mixture of both.

Andreas