[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12 features

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Nov 4 03:10:13 EST 2008

On 31.10.2008 18:36 Uhr, Tres Seaver wrote:

>>> Plone isn't the only consumer of Zope2, although it is clearly the
>>> biggest one.
>> Tres, what are you current needs and requirements (properly based on
>> your Repoze project)? I agree that Plone isn't the only consumer but I
>> wonder if all other consumers really have the need jumping on every
>> train passing the train station. We have the luxury with four supported
>> Zope 2 major release. I don't want a fith right now unless we are having
>> very good reasons.
>
> I think we need to move toward 2.6 compatibility, but we need to give
> people a migration path, largely because 2.6 will break 3rd party apps
> in ways that 2.4 doesn't warn about.  So, I would like to see a 2.12
> which is explicity about bridging first to 2.5 support:  that way,
> people get a chance to clean up the new deprecation warnings (e.g., for
> the 'with' keyword, etc.).
>
> If ZODB 3.9 lands in time, then a near-term release of Zope 2.12 could
> be this consolidation release (2.5 support, new ZODB, including maybe
> RelStorage, other work done to date).

Good points - let's head for Python 2.5 support in Zope 2.12.

> We could the focus trunk development on 2.6 compatibility, with the goal
> of releasing a 2.13 no later than Q3 next year.

ACK

> In the meantime, we can acknowledge that 2.8 and 2.9 are "retired" (no
> future work except maybe important security fixes),

+1

> and announce that
> 2.10 will be retired after the 2.12 release:

We have to care about 2.10 for a longer period because of the large
amount of Plone 3.X installations.

> I don't see a win there, myself:  I'd rather make an easier transition
> for 2.12 than spend resources on a potentially-destabilizing backport of
> 2.5 compatibility.

ok - the goals for the 2.12 release should be documented somewhere (your
ideas, see above + the Hanno's proposals).

Andreas

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: info at zopyx.com - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Handelsregister A 381535
Geschäftsführer/Gesellschafter: ZOPYX Limited, Birmingham, UK