[Zope-dev] deprecate http://download.zope.org/distribution

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 20 11:35:10 EST 2008

Hey,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>> If we released a version of Grok, say, back in the day that relied on an
>> egg that's in that location, and someone built an application back in the
>> day that relies on that version of Grok, and then they wrote a nice
>> INSTALL.txt that said to the sysadmin how to install that application, it'll
>> break.
>
> I call "tough luck" on that.
> The world moves on, stuff degrades and eventually stops working.
> dwonload.zope.org is reaching such a time ;-)

It's clearly the case that people who are reading this thread know how
to avoid download.zope.org. The people who are not reading this thread
just get "tough luck" from the Zope community when their software
doesn't work anymore. They're left to find this thread. I think that's
one reason the Zope community has so much trouble growing.

Regards,

Martijn