[Zope-dev] Blobs and modes

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Oct 24 17:41:51 EDT 2008

Hi Benji

My comment is absolutly of topic. Just skip it
if you don't have time...

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] Blobs and modes

[...]

> This distinction is similar to why __init__ methods aren't
> described in
> (zope.interface) interfaces; how you construct an object
> isn't prescribed by the interface exposed by the object itself.

I agree on not describe the constructor signature. But I can't
agree on the reason why.

If you have to use an existing framework with defined interfaces
the missing constructor signature doesn't make sence if the
framework at the same time offers implementations which use
a specific signature. It's just a leak of information.

I'm also against describing the __init__ signature in an
interfaces but there is another reason.

The missing __init__ signature in the interfaces make only
sense if it comes to reduce the variants of it. It whould
not be helpful to have several different named interfaces
just because they support another constructor signature.

But describing a constructor signature is not in general a
bad thing.

Regards
Roger Ineichen