[Zope-dev] Make simple ISource usable

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Mon Sep 1 04:48:35 EDT 2008

Hi Christian

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] Make simple ISource usable
>
> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 16:51 -0400, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:23:00PM +0200, Christian
> Zagrodnick wrote:
> > > Wait. zope.schema really shouldn't know about terms.
> Terms are about
> > > the user interface, hence title/token. That has really
> *nothing* to
> > > do with zope.schema. For searching you don't need titles
> or tokens.
> > > For a search *UI* you do, but that doesn't belong to
> zope.schema either.
> >
> > Are you arguing that zope.schema.Field should not have a title
> > attribute?
>
> IMHO he is not. To me that idea feels like architecture astronaucy.
> However, I think we do have a couple of cases where the
> field's title doesn't directly become the widget's title.
>
> But then again, a static title that doesn't tie the schema
> framework to the interaction is fine by me.
>
> I guess there's some 80/20 rule at work here. Or at least 99/1.

Moving ITerms to zope.schema, even if we skip the request as
adapter discrimintator, can offer support for your 20% or 1%.
This let us implement ITerm or title tokenized term adapter
based on a standard ITerms interface for ISource.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks to me that if you use
zc.sourcefactory every ISource implementation from you
will 100% depend on ITerms if it comes to widgets, doesn't
matter if you use title token term or what ever. You don't
have to implement that part because zc.sourcefactory does
it for you.

Can you agree that every ISource implementation based on
zc.sourcefactory depends on ITerms from zope.app.form.

Take a look at MappedTerms in zc.sourcefactory.browser.mapping.
I guess this mapping is used for any zc.resourcefactory
implementation. right?
I'm not sure because I don't use that package right now.

Regards
Roger Ineichen