[Zope-dev] Dependencies and future of zope 3

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Wed Sep 3 07:54:40 EDT 2008

Hi Martijn

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] Dependencies and future of zope 3
>
> Hi there,
> Roger Ineichen wrote:
> [snip]
> > Is someone willing to help doing that task?
>
> I'm very interested in this topic as well, especially from
> the perspective of Grok of course.

That whould be great. I'll let you know if I have something ready
for review or like to discuss new topics about dependency refactoring.

> There are many strategies to go ahead in doing this. I'll
> list just one observation I've had here.
>
> One observation is that the pattern of '.browser' subpackages
> tends to expand the dependency structure significantly. Often
> you want to use non-browser functionality and don't care
> about the UI that ships with .browser. At the same time
> .browser tends to add dependencies to the overall package.
>
> Other times (such as for zope.app.form.browser) the main
> reusable functionality of a package is actually almost
> completely in the .browser sub package. It might be nicer to
> flatten the namespace then and move things from .browser into
> the main package.
>
> It might therefore make sense to review packages one by one,
> and see whether zope.foo.browser can be factored out into a
> zope.fooui package or something like that. Of course the
> question remains how we can get from A to B without a major
> breakage in backwards compatibility then.

Good point, that will be a lot of work.

The menu/menu item supported by the ZCML directive and
the browser:page built in menu option is also a nesty
part if it comes to dependencies.

Right now I use zc.configuration to exclude every browser
configuration from the zope.app* core packages and use my
own management views if I need them. But I'm looking forward
to use the zope.* packages without any exclude tweak.

Regards
Roger Ineichen