[Zope-dev] Idea: Create SQL-Alchemy tables via interfaces

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Sep 4 06:47:43 EDT 2008

Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
[snip]
> Although ZODB may not be useable for a specific case, why not use a
> Zope3-style design process? So I'd start out with interfaces that describe my
> content objects, then I'd model relations, with interfaces too. And when I'm
> done, I'd derive the SQLAlchemy tables from that.

I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the described design process.
That is, I often design by writing concrete classes, refactoring several
cycles, and only writing the interfaces when they become clear. If I
want to use a relational database I'll do my data modeling on that
level, as when I choose a relational database I think that's the best
way to obtain the benefits. I do like the SQLAlchemy table definition
system in Python, but it's still relational.

> But, you know, that's theory, you may be right that this approach is not
> possible.

I'm not saying not possible. I just think it's harder than the other way
around. That said, I'd be interested to see you give it a try.

Regards,

Martijn