[Zope-dev] Buildout + svn:externals for different users - how?

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue Sep 16 08:36:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Hermann Himmelbauer <dusty at qwer.tk> wrote:
> Hi,
> We are two people who work at the same project (with the same buildout). I
> have SVN write access to svn.zope.org, my colleague does not (which is o.k.
> as he does not need to).
>
> As I need to develop some SVN packages from svn.zope.org, I'd like to put them
> in my buildout/src tree and reference them via svn:externals. However, I need
> to specify the SVN via "svn+ssh://myusername@svn.zope.org/...". If I do so,
> my colleague cannot use the buildout.

If you use "svn://svn.zope.org/..." as the target for the externals,
then he will be able to check them out.  However, you won't be able to
make commits from those checkouts without using "svn switch --relocate"
first to switch to the svn+ssh URL.

That being said, externals are almost universally hated (for various and
sundry reasons).  You'd probably be better off using packaged versions
(either releases or self-packaged).

Also, setuptools has some capacity to install packages directly from
Subversion that might help:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#managing-continuous-releases-using-subversion.
--
Benji York