[Zope-dev] lxml and z3c.form strategy?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Sep 16 10:07:17 EDT 2008

Hi Malthe

> Betreff: Re: lxml and z3c.form strategy?
>
> 2008/9/16 Roger Ineichen <dev at projekt01.ch>:
> > That's fine for me. But the question is what happens on a
> production
> > server. Does the missing lxml end in useing a slow fallback
> > implementation or does it use the old style PageTempalte?
>
> Without lxml, it'll use ``xml.etree`` to parse the template
> and there a few differences, most of which have been
> addressed at this point.

As I understand, this get used on production windows servers
without lxml installed, right?

Is this stable and fast? I really do not understand why
you are doing so much work for a fallback implementation
in z3c.pt rather then let the z3c.form or other package fallback
to PageTemplate.

What is the reason why z3c.* packages should use z3c.pt and fallback
to a new concept rather then stay with PageTemplate if no lxml is
installed and z3c.pt is useless?

Is the fallback to xml.etree faster and then the old  stable
PageTemplate implementation?

Or is the reason to use a fallback in z3c.pt that it's much
simpler for other packages to depend only on z3c.pt then
implement the fallback itself?

Regards
Roger Ineichen