[Zope-dev] naming Zope

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:45:52 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 17:40, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> How to get out of that bind? We could consider renaming Zope 3.

Assuming Zope 3 The Application Server is still going to exist, I
think it should be renamed (I suggested Blue Bream). But I have so far
seen no indication that anybody wants it, neither during both PyCon
nor during the Zope 4 discussion.

> If we don't call Zope Framework "4.0", we'll be fine. We should call its
> first release 1.0 and there's no implication of a progression.

This is a good point. Unfortunately it's hard to call the framework
anything else than the Zope Framework, as it's made up mainly of
modules called zope.*. :-)

That would give us, based on my earlier suggestion,

Zope Framework 1.0 -> A Framework for building application servers.
Zope 2, Grok and BFG -> Application servers using the Zope Framework

This is only mildly confusing. It can also only get better with time,
as Plone seems to continue away from Zope 2 and onto the framework,
which means we in the future may end up with Plone, Grok and BFG being
app servers on the Zope Framework.

I also think all applications should move over to using repoze by
default. BFG already does so, of course, and Plone 4 is set to do so.
Hopefully by Zope 2.13, the old publisher can be a horrid memory, and
repoze.Zope2 be default.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/