[Zope-dev] naming Zope

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Apr 8 12:47:31 EDT 2009

Baiju M wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> If we don't call Zope Framework "4.0", we'll be fine. We should call its
>>> first release 1.0 and there's no implication of a progression.
>> +1 on calling it Zope Framework 1.0.  We need the people who have been
>> burned by past Zope releases to take another look, because we believe
>> Zope is finally getting simpler.  Those people would assume
>> Zope-anything 4.0 is just piling on more complexity, while a version 1.0
>> release would invalidate that assumption and suggest they take another look.
>
> +1 for Zope Framework "1.0"

Could we just call it Zope Libraries?  Whenever I see a description of what the
Zope Framework is, it says "a collection of libraries", so why not just call it
that?  "Framework" to many Python web people implies a runnable application
server (the terms got conflated when Pylons and Django started calling
themselves "web frameworks").

I'll step out of the discussion about whether these libraries should be
versioned and treated as a unit, everybody knows my opinion about that.

- C

- C