[Zope-dev] several zope.* libs within gae (was ZCML implementations: where should they go)

Tobias Rodäbel tobias.rodaebel at mac.com
Thu Apr 9 11:05:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

Shane Hathaway wrote:
 > Hanno Schlichting wrote:
 >> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
 >>> I'ld rather not see a whole slew of extra packagse appear. I also
wonder
 >>> how the extra number of packages and increasing size of sys.path
 >>> influence performance and restrictions on environments like GAE.
 >>
 >> For environments like GAE you don't want setuptools and its magic
to be
 >> part of your application. This is were repackaging your entire app
into
 >> one zipped egg or some other flat structure comes in handy.
 >>
 >> Setuptools and eggs are a distribution format from my point of view.
 >> They are certainly not the best way to deploy your applications. The
 >> growing sys.path is affecting performance to some degree in all
 >> deployment environments.
 >
 > Well, zc.buildout ought to be able to eliminate this concern for GAE
 > deployment.  I haven't tried the recipe below, but it certainly seems
 > like the right idea.
 >
 > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rod.recipe.appengine

I released a new version today. It's a lot easier now to use several
eggs within gae. This test thingy http://zpttest.appspot.com/ uses
zope.interface and zope.pagetemplate plus their dependencies. I'm
planning to release another sample project maybe during easter
holidays. It's much more fun since you zope people cleaned up a lot of
dependencies and unveiled zc.buildout. Thanks!

Cheers,
Tobias