[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Apr 10 20:40:14 EDT 2009

Hi Martijn

> Betreff: [Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?
>
> Hi there,
>
> Is anyone interested in maintaining Zope 3?
>
> With Zope 3 I mean:
>
> * the thing with the ZMI - do you care about the ZMI?

Of corse do we all need the UI part for manage the components
we install. But the old style ZMI views are obsolate this days.
Right now we have to write this part for each project by ourself
if they need to depend on z3c.form and z3c.pagelet.

> * the thing that can be installed as a particular development
> platform - do you care about the installation story for Zope
> 3? (as opposed to Grok or your own application's?)

Yes, I don't use it but I think we should have something
available as a starting point for newcomers.

This could be something like zopeproject or a minimalistic
setup with as less as possible zope.*, z3c.* and repoze packages.

> * the thing that has some kind of documentation website - do
> you care about providing documentation for Zope 3 as opposed
> to documentation for Grok or individual libraries?
>
> People who are interested in these aspects please speak up,
> so we can figure out what this all means for the future of Zope 3.

I think we should take a look if we can build a minimal
setup which Plone, Grok and other projects can use. Do you think
there could be such a based configuration? Or is there to much
difference in each of Plone, Grok, repoze etc?

> If nobody is interested, we should perhaps stop talking about
> it entirely. If people are just interested in the ZMI,
> perhaps we should form a ZMI project.

The question is, can we find browser page pattern which Grok,
Plone, repoze and others can use? Everybody needs to have at
least management views for manage the components they install
in some ways. So the question is not if we skip the ZMI or not.
I think the question is can we improve and share such
views in the different projects or do we have to develop views
for each of them?

Regards
Roger Ineichen