[Zope-dev] who wants to maintain Zope 3?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 03:33:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:14, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>  When upgrading from Zope 2.8 to Zope 2.11, I had to fight for
>  several hours because Zope 3 interfaces have been changed:

True, you went from Zope 3.0 to 3.3 in one swoop there, and the
changes was significant. But most of this changed because the first
versions were mistakes. It was after all 3.0. With more experience of
using the ZCA changes was needed. The path from 3.0 to 3.3 was mostly
done via deprecations, but when you skip two versions, you won't see
those.

One of the major mistakes with Zope2 is that old ways of doing thing
was *never* removed. This makes for both messy internals, and messy
product code, as you can use several ways for doing one thing. Zope 3
probably went overboard in it's desire to keep things clean as a
result. But you did go from the 2005 version of Zope to the 2008
version of Zope, some upgrade pain is expected. Maybe you have been
spoiled by Python and Zope 2 not having much upgrade pain before, bit
I honestly don't think it's a good sign for a framework to be so
stagnant that three years of development doesn't break somethings.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64