[Zope-dev] Defining Zope 3.

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Apr 17 12:47:47 EDT 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:00, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>> I think it is clear that you are disregarding many people's opinions.
>> What opinions have been disregarded, more exactly?
>

> Gary's, Mine, Tres', Simon's, Benji's and others I could find if I
> trolled through the thread, which I won't.

I'll troll through the thread myself and just quote myself.

"""
Given the responses to this thread I'm starting to lean towards pushing
the message to the outside that Zope 3 has become Zope Toolkit, has a
different focus, basically just as Gary stated, and really push this
message internally (on zope-dev) as well.

I'll think it over over the weekend (and discuss it with Christian
Theune, as we're near to each other in rl then).
"""

"""
That's a good point.

A renaming operation does have the virtue of being simple to understand
for outsiders. If we assume that the Zope Toolkit has other focuses
internally that it should be all right to give up the name Zope 3
(except in the maintenance sense).
"""

"""
So I'm ready to just go with Gary's plan and present this as a renaming
recognizing that Zope 3 has become something very different, as there
really indeed doesn't seem to be anything else left.
"""

"""
I think Carsten says it well though, contrasting external and internal
communication, and not just making the term "Zope 3" disappear.
"""

[I'll note that Carsten has supported both the rename but also said in
another message we shouldn't rename it to the outside world in this
thread, similar to my latest proposal]

I was hoping that people like Fabio who expressed interest in Zope 3 as
a community project (whatever its name) could get some time to organize
themselves first.

So I proposed delaying this decision first (especially as it'll take us
a while to get ready anyway).

I'm also just plain concerned with renaming a name referenced in many
places (books and so on). This concern was expressed in earlier threads
by various people when I proposed renaming Zope 3 to something else.

Finally I'm worried that saying Zope 3 was renamed to Zope Toolkit
dilutes the concept separation, which was exactly what I was trying so
hard to do. I'm still not very happy with the implications of that.

Why attack me when I'm trying to give it a bit more thought? It's really
discouraging to do that.

Regards,

Martijn