[Zope-dev] People in the "Zope 3" and "ZMI" teams

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Apr 21 22:38:37 EDT 2009

Hi Martijn, Yusei

I think there is a little confusion about which package depends on
each other.

Right now there is a zmi.core package this package should
contain core parts without to much dependency. After that
we need several zmi.* packages which are replacements for
each zope.app.* package. right?

I think it should be like:

1. zope.app.foo moves ZMI code to zmi.foo

2. zope.app.foo imports the zmi code from it's zmi.foo package

This allows us to move the zmi code from the zope.app packages
to zmi packages. Custom projects can then depend on zmi.foo
and skip the dependency to zope.app.foo. (at least for the zmi)
probably some zope.app.* packages contain only zmi code
probably some contain other code like Martijn told with
zope.app.form. That's fine and is not a part of our refactoring.

Projects which depend on zope.app.foo and will use the latest code
will get pulled in the zmi.foo package without any other dependecy
and should just work without to change the project setup since the
zope.app.foo package defines the zmi.foo dependency in thier
setup.py file.

btw,
I think we should refactor the old menu implementaiton too
ar at least review it since this part is very, very slow.
But that's another part and could probably done after
finishing the zmi refactoring part.

Regards
Roger Ineichen