[Zope-dev] Release management proposal

Benji York benji at zope.com
Wed Apr 22 10:25:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> I want to suggest two changes to the standard release process:
>
> 1. use "sdist --formats=zip". This works around a nasty bug in the
>   python 2.4 tarfile module which makes it skip files with a
>   path of a specific length. This can make a release impossible to use.

The bug you refer to is indeed nasty, but (IIRC) was fixed in later
releases of 2.4.  I'd rather not add yet another thing people have to
remember to do to make a release for the benefit of such a small
minority of end-users.

> 2. forbid the use of __file__ in setup.py. This breaks on systems
>   which do not have setuptools installed globally but rely on a
>   (zc.buildout-created) wrapper script. __file__ will point
>   to the wrapper script in those instances, which breaks setup.py.

Is there something zc.buildout or setuptools can do differently that
will mitigate this?
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer