[Zope-dev] List of packages in the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Aug 8 12:44:20 EDT 2009

Hey,

Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
[snip]
> I still think that starting from a very small list, allowing zope committers to
> add packages making an explicit commitment to maintain them would give us a
> better overview of what does "ZTK" mean for each of us.

I'm of the opposite opinion; let's start with a moderately big list,
more or less what was in Zope 3, but with anything ZMI related
definitely planned for removal (and there's some other stuff).

This is to recognize the reality that real apps right now depend on a
*lot* of these packages. A lot of this code is not actually being used,
which is why we do the refactoring, but I'd like to shrink gradually,
instead of grow from a small core. This is because right now we'll have
an easier time shrinking stuff down by fairly mechanical reasoning
without involving a lot of people.

A growing strategy that determines who is interested in maintaining a
package sounds like it needs a lot of communication from a lot of
people. In general it'd be good to avoid that.. (I can imagine however
we could automate this partially by digging through SVN logs - that
information might be interesting)

Regards,

Martijn