[Zope-dev] SVN: zope.publisher/trunk/ Moved dependency on zope.testing from install_requires to tests_require.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Aug 8 14:24:43 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Martijn Faassen<faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> [snip]
>> In zope.component we use tests_require, in the very same way, for example.
>> Shall I remove it there, too? Is there a policy/document which explains how
>> we use extras and tests_require?
>
> Probably not. I think it'd be very good to add something like this to
> the Zope Toolkit documentation in SVN. Do you think you can write
> something? Please send it to the list so people can review it before we
> add it to SVN.

Id like us to say something along the lines of:

"If your tests have additional dependencies, define "test" extra with
these dependencies.  Also define tests_require and test_suite so that
your package supports the test command."

(Not verbatim and we should give examples.)

Note I used to object to tests_require because the information wasn't
available after installation.  I still do, but I've started using it
anyway.  Tres wrote a plugin to fix this (thanks Tres), but I think
it's easier just to define tests_require (and test suite) along with
tests_require.

Letting people run tests via the setup command is a lot better than
trying to tell them how to use a buildout.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton