[Zope-dev] implementing zope.component 4.0

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Dec 2 09:58:46 EST 2009

Thomas Lotze wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> * a utility never has a connection. That's because it already got
>> instantiated long before the lookup takes place.
>
> Isn't it the other way around: A utility never has a connection to any
> adapted object, and that's *why we can* instantiate it long before the
> lookup takes place.
>
> I think the difference between these two perspectives may have to do with
> why some people in this discussion confuse (as I see it) the concepts of
> instance vs. factory registration and adapter vs. utility lookup.

I'm not confused.  I understand this worldview.

I'm just arguing that this worldview is less understandable for new users and
maintenance programmers than it would be to leave them distinct (or to "unify"
them by providing an API like "lookup" which never calls the result of an
adaptation).  The conceptual beauty of how they might be otherwise similar is
meaningless to new users and maintenance programmers.

- C