[Zope-dev] Bootstrapping ZCA for Python 3.

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Dec 15 08:21:32 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:22:03AM +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> And now it's zc.buildout. It also uses itself, to set up the
> environment so that you can test it. I did try using distribute
> instead, but I get strange inconsistent errors, different ones each
> time I try. :-/
>
> If someone can set up a way of running the tests for zc.buildout
> without using zc.buildout, I'm sure I can help port it to Python 3,
> but for now I give up. :-)

How about virtualenv?

  svn checkout svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.buildout/trunk zc.buildout
  cd zc.buildout
  virtualenv tmp
  tmp/bin/easy_install zope.testing
  tmp/bin/python setup.py develop
  cd zc.recipe.egg_
  ../tmp/bin/python setup.py develop
  cd ...
  tmp/bin/zope-testrunner --test-path=src

When I tried this on Python 2.6 I got some failures, e.g.

  Expected:
    warning: install_lib: 'build/lib' does not exist -- no Python modules to install
  Got:
    warning: install_lib: 'build/lib.linux-i686-2.6' does not exist -- no Python modules to install

and

  Expected:
    UserError: Couldn't install: nonexisting.tgz
  Got:
      File "/home/mg/src/zc.buildout/src/zc/buildout/easy_install.py", line 360, in _call_easy_install
        if d.project_name != dist.project_name:
    AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'project_name'

and a few more.

If I weren't extremely hungry and starving, I'd run the tests in the official
fashion (bin/buildout && bin/test) and see if I get the same failures.

Cheers!
Marius Gedminas