[Zope-dev] removing zope.app from the ZTK

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Dec 29 10:39:48 EST 2009

On 12/29/09 16:25 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Earlier this year we decided to refocus our efforts on the ZTK, a
> leaner, meaner Zope 3 with a different focus, which has code that we
> really use, no UI, and with cleaner dependencies.

I feel a disconnect here. As I see it the ZTK is not a 'leaner, meaner
Zope 3'. Zope 3 is a modular application framework, while the ZTK is a
small framework that can be used to build applications or applications
frameworks. ZTK has no history since it never existed before (and still
is only vapourware since it has no releases nor a release manager), so
it does not have any backwards compatibility to worry about.

It seems that you want to have a 'ZTK+' which aims to be backwards
compatible with Zope 3 but is somehow not Zope 3 itself. That is
something that not everybody appears to be interested in judging by the
lack of progress on Zope 3 itself, but if you want to pursue that I do
not see any reason for you not to do that. But it should separate from
the ZTK.

Wichert.