[Zope-dev] Zope 2.12.2 SyntaxError on installation

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Dec 29 16:53:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 09:56:01PM +0100, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 03:59:07PM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> >> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > It'd be even better if there was a command I could run to generate an
> > up-to-date default zope.conf, like mkzopeinstance does.  Is there one?
> > Maybe there's a place for "bin/zopectl init" that would mkdir etc var log
> > and write a default etc/zope.conf?  (Thanks to whoever came up with
> > "bin/zopectl adduser", BTW, much appreciated!)
>
> Well, either you use mkzopeinstance, which indeed generates an
> instance for you with all things included,

*nod*

> or if you use buildout you
> use a recipe like plone.recipe.zope2instance, in which case all it
> takes is:
>
> [instance]
> recipe = plone.recipe.zope2instance
> eggs = Zope2
> user = admin:password
> http-address = 127.0.0.1:8080
>
> and there's lots of documentation of the available options on the
> recipe page on PyPi.

Ah, but then why The Official Zope 2.12 Installation Guide at
http://docs.zope.org/zope2/releases/2.12/INSTALL.html#buildout-instances
doesn't even mention plone.recipe.zope2instance?

Should it?  The namespace of the recipe alone is scary -- I don't want
Plone, I just want Zope, cry bewildered newbie users!

> The current buildout docs are aimed at people who know how to set up
> Zope2 and don't want any help. Those are comfortable reading ZConfig
> definition files.

Do you think that's how it should be, or would you like to improve the
situation for Zope 2.13 (or even 2.12.3)?

Do you think a command such as my suggested 'zopectl init' would be
convenient for both new and advanced users?

I'm willing to put some work to improve the docs or tools, but I need
feedback!

Cheers!
Marius Gedminas