[Zope-dev] ZCML implementations: where should they go

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Feb 10 13:38:16 EST 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote at 2009-2-8 14:14 +0100:
>Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> I'ld rather not see a whole slew of extra packagse appear. I also wonder
>> how the extra number of packages and increasing size of sys.path
>> influence performance and restrictions on environments like GAE.
>
>For environments like GAE you don't want setuptools and its magic to be
>part of your application. This is were repackaging your entire app into
>one zipped egg or some other flat structure comes in handy.

But you can do that (packaging everything into a single zip)
at "home" -- and can interpret "extra"s there (without a need
to have "setuptools" to call in your deployment environment.

>Setuptools and eggs are a distribution format from my point of view.
>They are certainly not the best way to deploy your applications. The
>growing sys.path is affecting performance to some degree in all
>deployment environments.

I think your single zip would not mind whether it were build
from a flat egg structure or from one with ":extra"....

--
Dieter