[Zope-dev] zope.publisher dependencies

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 24 13:10:17 EST 2009

Hi there,

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
[snip]
> P.S. See http://hannosch.eu/dependencies/zope/zope.publisher.svg for the
> dependency graph ;)

That's a cool resource! (the general dependencies folder there)

Are you removing indirect dependencies before generating the graphs? I
think it is valuable to actually consider the graphs *without* such
removal being done. I think doing so hides the true complexity of the
dependency situation and can therefore be very misleading. At least I
recall the true dependency graphs of something like zope.formlib look a
lot more hairy than this:

http://hannosch.eu/dependencies/zope/zope.formlib.svg

I highly recommend the use graphviz's sccmap to detect clusters of
strongly connected components. Circular dependencies are one of our true
problems and this tool can help you identify them.

It would be nice if we could have a dependency checking service that
could inform us when we're going in the wrong direction; in particular
when we create strongly connected clusters.

Regards,

Martijn