[Zope-dev] Plans for Zope 2.12

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sun Jan 25 14:19:46 EST 2009

On 25.01.2009 20:09 Uhr, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Martijn Pieters wrote at 2009-1-25 13:29 +0100:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:56, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>>> I plan to provide such a package as "dm.ZClasses" or (maybe) "Zope2.ZClasses"
>>> -- of course with some complaints against the Zope release management
>>> in the documentation:
>>>
>>>  *  cutting away useful features without any serious need
>>>
>>>  *  lacking commitment wrt backward compatibility
>>>
>>>  *  enforcing philosophical opinions (applications should be
>>>     created programmatically not via configuration only (such
>>>     as with ZClasses))
>> Oh, please come off it. You have checkin rights and could have stepped
>> up to maintain the code.
>
> The last necessity to do something with ZClasses was for Zope 2.8.
> Then, Jim did the work.
>
> There was no need now to ditch ZClasses.
>
> For me, it looks like hostility towards building applications via
> menues rather than programming.

Please stop the discussion. The majority of Zope developers considers
the ZClasses programming model as not up2date and not flexible enough
when it comes to extensibility and scalability. That's why we don't want
ZClasses being part of Zope 2 anymore. This has been our message for
years. ZClasses are deprecated since Zope 2.10 and now it's time to say
goodbye.

>> This is not about enforcing philosophical
>> choices, this is about being pragmatic. If the feature was truely
>> useful, more developers would be maintaining and fixing it. Obviously
>> the complexity of keeping it working is outweighing it's usefulness.
>
> I do not see something "obvious" here.
>
> I do not know how much work Jim has invested for Zope 2.8 but
> I am almost sure that other efforts since then have at most
> been in the order of hours (probably nothing at all).
>

> You will now get an externally maintained ZClasses implementation
> and I am quite confident that the necessary effort will be small
> (though larger of course then when it remained part of Zope).
> If you like I report back or even better I document it.

All ZClasses user will appreciate your work as we do stepping in but you
should accept that your opinion on ZClasses does not reflect the
majority of the other Zope developers.

Andreas