[Zope-dev] extracting things out of zope.app.component

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Tue Jan 27 14:09:16 EST 2009

Christian Theune wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:49:16 +0100
> Hanno Schlichting <hannosch at hannosch.eu> wrote:
>> [... nice eggdeps and graphviz info ...]
>>
>> tred and dot are part of graphviz. If you happen to run Mac OS and use
>> MacPorts you need to install graphviz-devel instead of the graphviz
>> port for tred to work. In the latest stable graphviz port tred is
>> broken.
>
> We're doing that already, but thanks for the pointer. One thing we
> found is that tred makes the graphs way to nice and doesn't hint you at
> the problematic points.  We manually isolated packages that we find
> sufficiently 'nice' and ignore those manually (like zope.interface).
> After that the graph only contains the messy parts but becomes a bit
> more readable.

Sure. That's a good approach. I found looking at the full dot files or
grepping through them to work quite well for certain tasks.

The reduced graphs gives you an easy way of seeing which packages can
already be declared nice. For the actual dependency analysis of the
messy ones, you need to dig deeper :)

Hanno