[Zope-dev] z3c.recipe.compattest

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Jan 28 12:55:49 EST 2009

Hi there,

Here at the Grok dependency reduction sprint Sylvain and Wolfgang have
been working on a buildout recipe called 'z3c.recipe.compattest':

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.compattest

What this brings to Zope development is a way to test changes in one
package against a lot of other packages to check whether things haven't
been broken by your change. It will download each package and run the
tests per package (in a separate process so that tests don't have hidden
dependencies on each other). It can test against releases on PyPI or
take the trunks of packages on svn.zope.org.

We're currently running it through paces and work out any problems with
it, but I think it'll be quite useful for people working on larger-scale
changes that could potentially affect many packages.

We've used it to find all kinds of incompatibilities that were created
between packages already, and have been fixing some of them.

Regards,

Martijn