[Zope-dev] List of packages in ZTK

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Jul 5 12:15:48 EDT 2009

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> 2009/7/5 Tobias Rodäbel <tobias.rodaebel at mac.com>:
>> I'd like to mention repoze.bfg here. It takes a fairly small set of
>> zope.* packages.
>
> Sure. Nothing says you have to use *all* ZTK packages either. It's a
> collection of packages for building web frameworks. BFG is amazingly
> minimalistic and will by itself only include a very small set of ZTK
> packages, and I would be surprised if it ever included all the ZTK
> packages. Maybe I stretch the word too much, but I would almost say
> that BFG isn't dependent on ZTK, but just on the Zope Component
> Architecture.

BFG-the-framework uses the "bicycle seat toolkit" (zope.interface,
zope.component, and dependencies).  The complete set of direct
dependencies are:

 $ cat eggs/repoze.bfg-1.0b2-py2.6.egg/EGG-INFO/requires.txt
 setuptools
 chameleon.core >= 1.0b32
 chameleon.zpt >= 1.0b16
 PasteScript
 WebOb
 zope.interface >= 3.5.1
 zope.component >= 3.6.0
 zope.deprecation
 repoze.zcml
 repoze.lru
 martian

BFG apps don't necessarily require anything beyond BFG's dependencies:

- - They may or may not use the "mini-ZTK" packages directly, because
  decorator-style view registrations make thinking about the ZCA
  optional.

- - They often use a few extra ZTK pacakges, e.g. zope.index.

- - ZODB is optional; apps using an ORM don't need it.

- - BFG apps normally use the chameleon implementation of ZPT, but that
  isn't a requirement:  the application is free to use another
  templating system, or the zope.pagetemplate implemenatation.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com