[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.testing/trunk/ when a test module does not define a test_suite, first try to load any unittest.TestCase descendants in it before complaining it does not contain any tests

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Fri Jul 24 08:21:05 EDT 2009

* Benji York <benji at zope.com> [2009-07-24 08:02]:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Wolfgang Schnerring<wosc at wosc.de> wrote:
> > Log message for revision 102202:
> >  when a test module does not define a test_suite, first try to load
> > any unittest.TestCase descendants in it before complaining it does not
> > contain any tests
>
> I'd rather zope.testing support the test discovery protocol recently
> added to the Python standard library and backported as the "discover"
> module (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/discover).

When I proposed *this exact same* patch to Christian Theune one year
ago(!) he demurred with the comment along the lines of "the testrunner
is up for refactoring and extensibility with regarding test discovery
anyway". One year later, nothing like that has happened AFAICS.

I'm quite done waiting, so I finally put this in as a stopgap that
removes the annoyance for 80% of the cases I know.

I'm glad to hear about that discovery protocol (didn't know about it
before), and I'm all for a proper solution (the registration of
doctests is another point to think about in this area), but I hope you
understand that I prefer a temporary fix (that will be replaced by
something proper later on) to *no fix at all*.

Wolfgang