[Zope-dev] refactoring site functionality

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Jun 4 12:45:53 EDT 2009

On 6/4/09 11:59 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> * often it is nice to have application configuration to have a user
>>> interface, so that end users can configure aspects of the application.
>>> This may be filling in an email address or customizing a template or
>>> adding a user, etc. Local utilities are a nice solution for this, even
>>> if there is just a single application installed.
>> That sounds like a complicated workaround for not having a mutable
>> global configuration.
>
> I don't think it's complicated. It's nice to install an object somewhere
> that stores data and has a UI and also be able to register it as a local
> utility. If you were to have mutable global configuration, you'd need
> some way to expose it to the UI and content-space too.

This is true.  OTOH, I've never really been keen on the idea that the CA API
should be bent around the idea that you're going to often want to find a
persistent registry.  It seems just as reasonable to:

- put a persistent object someplace (with its own UI) that isn't registered as
   a CA utility.

- find it via the location API when you need it in your code.

- *Pass* it to global utilities (or adapters) when you need to vary behavior
   based on location.

Maybe CMF tools weren't such a bad idea.

- C