[Zope-dev] HA storage for zope

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 08:27:44 EDT 2009

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> It's a shame that the 2 or 3 times I've tried to organise purchase of
>> ZRS for customers, the Zope Corp sales process hasn't succeeded in
>> delivering anything :-(
>>
>> (I'm not 100% on the details, but it may just have been that the
>> prices were extortionate...)
>
> I disagree.

You disagree that I failed to purchase ZRS from Zope Corp both times I
tried? ;-)

> The kind of fault tolerance ZRS provides is hard to achieve
> without a lot of either time or money.

Indeed, but when it's easier to get two hearbeat-failover'd servers and
some SAN to put the storage on, or go for clustered-MySQL-as-a-service
and RelStorage or ZEORAID, it's a bit of a moot point...

> I suspect ZRS is less expensive
> than a new replicated Oracle setup, or paying a developer to invent
> something new.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I wish getting hold of ZRS was
easier (not necessarily cheaper!)...

Chris