[Zope-dev] tabs in the source

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:19:47 EDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Adam GROSZER wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe it's time for an svn commit police squad?
> 22 .py files have tabs... and I grepped only zope.* packages.

FWIW, to state the probably obvious, other projects handle this with
varying degrees of increased control.

Some require one or more reviews before a commit (Launchpad and others
support this--github maybe?  I forget).  Others require certain
quality tests to pass before a branch is merged (I'm familiar with PQM
or the upcoming Tarmac combined with bzr, but there are many many
other posibilities, I'm sure).  Others use buildbot for various tests,
using the social embarrassment vector.  Launchpad developers have
ongoing experiments in this regard, currently combining all of the
approaches.  I've found them much better than commit police squads
both in terms of what they catch and what kind of interaction they
encourage.

Jono Lange has a nice talk about code review, FWIW, with links to more
(like Guido's old Mondrian video).  http://mumak.net/stuff/your-code-sucks.html

Gary