[Zope-dev] 2.5/2.6 support in Zope (Re: The future of Zope{2, 3} and Plone in Debian and Ubuntu)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jun 24 06:45:57 EDT 2009

On 24.06.09 12:29, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> * 2009-06-24 12:26, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> So then, how soon would 2.12 need to be released for you to not drop
>> debian support for Zope 2 and Plone?
>>
> The problem is not Zope by itself but Plone, which still needs Zope 2.10,
> which in turn requires python 2.4.
>
> It seems that a new major release of Plone will happen at the end of the
> year, which is already too late for Ubuntu Karmic (next stable release).

We had the very same discussion with the guys from Canonical at some months
ago at PyCon. My personal opionion: the Zope developers don't care much
about release dates (that the "it's done when it is done" attitiude -
good or
bad...). Therefore we can not and won't care much about the release
dates and
requirements of each single distribution. The other question: are Plone
packages
included with some Linux distribution important for attracting people to
Plone.
My opionion: no. It's nice having OFTB support for Plone and Zope on the
distros
but the Zope and Plone packages raised more problems for serious Zope/Plone
users in the past than they actually solved. Serious installations usually
install their own Python, Zope & Plone from the sources or using zc.buildout
nowadays (this approach is supported by the Zope and Plone developers).

Andreas