[Zope-dev] zc.async: cron replacement?

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Thu Jun 25 07:05:08 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch 24 Juni 2009 19:19:17 schrieb Reinout van Rees:
> Hi all,
>
> In messages like
> http://www.mail-archive.com/zope3-dev@zope.org/msg05964.html, zc.async is
> mentioned as the solution for cron-like functionality in zope. Effectively
> you would not need zope2's clockserver.
>
> Reading zc.async's docs, I cannot find how to do a given task regularly.
> For example a weekly pack.  Or a daily call of one method that archives
> older items.  That sort of stuff. Many things can be handled by cronjobs,
> but you tend to get a lot of them.  And you don't want to embed the
> password everywhere.
>
> Anyway: I cannot find the word "cron" anywhere in the zc.async source.  Or
> "repetitive" or "regular".  Is zc.async not intended for this kind of
> usage?

I personally recommend to also look at lovely.remotetask, as this does have
direct cronjob functionality and is relatively simple to implement.
I personally use it, however, I'm still a bit sceptic if it's really robust
and scales well, moreover, I'm unsure if it is actively maintained.

Best Regards,
Hermann

hermann at qwer.tk
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7