[Zope-dev] Schema to JSON

Gustavo Rahal grahal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jun 29 11:10:26 EDT 2009

Em Seg, 2009-06-29 às 11:18 +0100, Paul Wilson escreveu:
> 2009/6/29 Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com>
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Paul Wilson wrote:
> > > I'm about to embark on a module to serialize Zope schemas into the JSON
> > > format for my application, taking inspiration from z3c.schema2xml. I've
> > > had a look around SVN to see if this functionality has already been
> > > implemented but can't find anything - does anybody know whether this has
> > > already been done somewhere?
> >
> > I imagine lazr.restful hides functionality for this somewhere in its
> > codebase. Perhaps one way forward would be to extract it? Maybe not, but
> > it bears some investigation.
>

> Thanks for the hint. I'll take a look.
>

> > > Also, it makes sense in my mind for a schema2xml and schema2json to
> > > implement the same interface. How does Zope handle this case? With a
> > > format agnostic interface module or something?
> >
> > I am not sure I understand the proposal. Which interface would be the
> > same and why would that be useful?
>
> I don't want my application to have knowledge of the format that the
> object tree will be serialized into - I want that to be a
> configuration detail. So, a simple format independent interface (with
> serialize and deserialize) would hide this. I was considering
> implementing some of the TODOs in the schema2xml package for my json
> version, but this would diverge their behaviour enough to spoil my
> hopes of switching freely between the two formats. Perhaps I'm looking
> at this the wrong way?
>
> > I think you should just think in terms of what the API should be like
> > before you worry about interfaces. (though interfaces are also used to
> > look up adapters here).
>
> I've structured it internally in a very similar way to your schema2xml
> package, and shamelessly copied your test cases! :-)
>

> > Sounds like a useful project!
> >

> It's in my sandbox at the moment - all tests pass as it stands but it
> needs more attention I think.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Nice, I would be interested in helping as well. Perhaps you could open a
launchpad project or something?
We are planning a new web app using GWT (Google Web Toolkit) as
frontend. We already have an application written in Django that spits
json to a GWT interface and we are planning a new app based on zope3
(yeah, I did not like django that much, perhaps I should write about
this when I get to know zope3 more...)

--
Gustavo Matheus Rahal
IBM Linux Technology Center