[Zope-dev] the Zope Framework project

Baiju M mbaiju at zeomega.net
Wed Mar 4 13:21:31 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Real soon now, zope.app.container and zope.app.folder and
> zope.app.keyreference and zope.app.catalog are not going to be the
> business of the Zope Framework developers anymore. They contain ZMI
> stuff the Zope Framework developers do not care about directly and
> will only care about indirectly if enough people speak up for it and
> are willing to work on it. I hope many of them join the real soon now.
> We have a line behind which I, and many others, don't have to care
> anymore. A receding line, leaving many things behind.
>
> I don't want to stop anyone else from caring about these other things.
> I can't anyway. If people do get together who want to develop "Zope 3
> the app server" they should get together and organize. I hope I can
> convince them that this line is important and I hope I can convince
> people in general to care *more* about the stuff in the Zope Framework
> than anything else. The ZMI isn't the main thrust of Zope 3
> development, and hasn't been for a long time anyway. I want to stop
> having to worry about it as soon as possible, and am willing to do
> work to get there.

+1 for organizing a "Zope 3" team, may be we should re-activate
zope3-dev list?  Well, ripping out ZMI and other things can be
discussed there.  I think "Zope 3" should bring many packages
in 'z3c' namespace into core "Zope 3" (no need to change namespace)
Documenting how Zope 3 packages can be used together to build
application is also very important.

Regards,
Baiju M