[Zope-dev] setup.py "extra" dependencies

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:40:55 EST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Dan Korostelev wrote:

> 2009/3/6 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
>>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Laurence Rowe wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> One reason that isn't used is that apparently there is no way for
>>> us to
>>> dig up this information in the way our test runner needs, unlike
>>> extras
>>> requires.
>>
>> If the testrunner would require 'eggtestinfo', and introspect the
>> extra
>> data it records, this wouldn't be true any longer.
>
> +1. Though, if that "eggtestinfo" package is really tiny, as I believe
> it is, we could just copy it into the testrunner not to create extra
> dependencies.

(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/eggtestinfo)

I skimmed the docs, but they were written generically, so I couldn't
confirm: Tres, is this the thing that lets you run ``setup.py test``
against zope.testing, if you configure it properly?  The last example
seemed like that was it.

If so, +1 on getting this into zope.testing, or at least this pattern
into our standard ways of writing tests.  IME, that's what non-Zope
Python developers expect (as Tres has argued before).  It's a small
thing, but would get the non-Zope Python developer's experience off on
the right foot.

Tres, you've obviously done the research here to know: can we easily
change zope.testing to make that story work?  Or would you say that
eggtestinfo is still a better/easier way to go about it, at least for
now?

Gary