[Zope-dev] zope.password

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Tue Mar 10 07:00:39 EDT 2009

Dan Korostelev wrote:
> 2009/3/10 Hanno Schlichting <hannosch at hannosch.eu>:
>> Either you have a dependency and declare it or you don't have a
>> dependency. Since we don't want to use "extras" anymore, I think this
>> calls for another package which depends on zope.password and zope.schema.
>
> I still don't like/get the idea of creating and maintaining extra
> package that merely contains a vocabulary factory for another package.
> Whatever, I reverted that change. Roger, just exclude
> zope.app.authentication's "password.zcml" file, include
> "zope.password" explicitly and define your own vocabulary.

I don't quite like the idea of extras and we decided to avoid them. We
also decided to avoid tests_require from what I understand.

What you did was to not specify an extra nor a hard dependency, but
still add zope.schema to the test extra section.

That feels wrong. Either you have a dependency and so have the tests or
you don't.

I think extras have been created for this kind of use-case of providing
an "optional feature" from a package. Either we use that mechanism and
declare it, or we don't want this mechanism and live with creating extra
packages instead.

Hanno