[Zope-dev] deprecating the deprecation system?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Mar 11 14:55:01 EDT 2009

Lennart Regebro wrote at 2009-3-9 17:09 +0100:
>On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 15:56, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>> The "product_name" parameter used to be mandatory -- thus all
>> calls to "ToolInit" had to use it.
>> Then, a means was found to derive it automatically
>> from the context. The developper was so happy that he wanted all
>> others immediately drop the parameter -- result: several dozens of deprecation
>> warnings for each start -- in trivial cases, where the automatically
>> derived information was identical to the explicitly provided....
>> I called out "what a stupidity"....
>
>I agree that this deprecation warning is pointless. The parameter can
>just stay there and be ignored, no need to warn. But the description
>of the change is incorrect, the decision to ignore the parameter was
>for reason, not just because we could, even if I don't exactly
>remember what the reason was now. :)

The parameter was pointless in the first place.
One and only one value for it worked -- the one that could be
determined automatically.

Thus, it was good to get rid of it -- just the deprecation warning
was silly: instead, a value different from the only correct one should
have resulted in an exception.

--
Dieter