[Zope-dev] Death of local/persistent permissions (zope.app.security refactoring)

Dan Korostelev nadako at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 17:04:43 EDT 2009

2009/3/13 Dan Korostelev <nadako at gmail.com>:

>>> I'm talking about local persistent permissions that can be added to
>>> ZODB and registered per site. It's zope.securitypolicy that gives
>>> local permissions, so, LocalPermission has nothing to do with local
>>> grants.
>>
>> Right, that's what I thought. Agreed they should go off into a package
>> on its own, probably to eventually die. :) (I have bad memories of
>> struggling with this stuff in a sprint in 2003).
>
> Thinking now. If we want local persistent permissions to be considered
> dead and we want to discourage their usage, may be the package should
> be called "zope.app.localpermission" then? If so, we could also move
> its ZMI views there and forget about that package. :) It's just
> because "zope.localpermission" name sounds like "some nice part of
> zope framework", but in reality, the functionality provided by the
> package is deprecated for use withing _the framework_.
>
> But, do we really want it deprecated and dead? May be there's some
> nice use cases for it? Anyone?

Martijn, Stephan, anyone? This question is the only thing that stops
me from releasing refactored packages.

Personally, I quite like the idea of naming it
"zope.app.localpermission", merging it with its views (possibly as an
optional dependency) and forgetting about it. But it's just because I
didn't ever need and probably won't ever need local permissions, so
it's one of some "old and deprecated patterns" to me.

So, if noone will object/reply soon, I'll rename the package and
finally release the refactorings.

--
WBR, Dan Korostelev