[Zope-dev] zope.password

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Mar 18 04:19:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 17:27 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Stephan Richter wrote:
> [snip]
> >> In my opinion going for an extra here just to avoid this is speculating
> >> a bit too much right now. Do we really have users that want to use
> >> zope.password and really don't want zope.component and zope.schema? If
> >> so, we'll hear from them when they speak up and *then* declare an extra
> >> or take some other action.
> >
> > +1. I want more of our decisions to go into this direction. It is a sign that
> > we turn the # of packages knob as well.
>
> I agree with you in the case against extras.
>
> It appears though that Dan has a concrete use case for using
> zope.password in a Pylons app where he isn't interested in
> zope.component, so I'm +1 on the extra in this case. We'll see whether
> this leads to difficulties. Luckily the zope.component and zope.schema
> libraries are typically around anyway so it doesn't make reasoning about
> the graph that much harder.

I remember that at the sprint we used to identify packages which are
"always good". E.g. zope.interface is a declared no-brainer to add to
your dependencies. The other two that keep popping up that we *might*
wanna white-list are zope.schema and zope.component.

In addition this would need documentation as well.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com