[Zope-dev] improving the utility and adapter lookup APIs

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:17:21 EST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Thoughts?

FWIW, this mirrors some of the thoughts I've had, after a lot of discussions with Launchpad/Canonical engineers about the pros and cons of the Zope interface and component code.  My OSCON presentation touched on some of these discussions, observations and ideas.  Ideas on addressing the problems in the feedback are the focus of my upcoming PyCon presentation.

I'm in the middle of an experiment to modify the code without backwards compatibility concerns, to see where it takes me.  Obviously, there's an extremely high hurdle for backwards incompatibility, but it was the experiment I wanted to pursue, and one that (obviously) I felt had merit.  My intent is to show these at PyCon and start a discussion about the value of the changes, what could be done without breaking backwards compatibility, what could be done with minimal backwards compatibility breakage, and if anything I discovered merits more significant breakage.

I'd prefer to think about these myself for a while, and continue to experiment.  I've already digested a lot of feedback, from the interviews at Launchpad and Canonical, from past mailing list discussions, from documents like BFG's design defence (http://docs.repoze.org/bfg/1.1/designdefense.html), and from personal discussions.  Most people have heard some variation of the (perceived/real) problems before; I'm not ready to settle on my preferred solutions myself.  I'm seeing how everything fits together, and it's a big puzzle to assemble.

My experiments don't need to hold anyone else up, of course, but I do have a concrete deadline to deliver something. :-)  I'll share once I feel that I am reasonably happy with my choices, which may or may not be significantly before PyCon.

If other folks want to run on without me, I can at least point to the slides for the OSCON talk I gave with the Canonical/Launchpad feedback if you are interested.

Gary