[Zope-dev] z3c.schema2xml and z3c.schema2json

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 26 04:44:36 EST 2009

Hey,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> I'm about to work a bit on z3c.schema2json [1]. As has been briefly
> discussed before (a while ago [2]), z3c. schema2json is so similar to
> z3c.schema2xml [3] in what it does and how it does it, that I wonder
> about merging the two packages somehow.
>
> One way to do this - maybe - is to use named registrations for the
> (de)serialization adapters. The name could reflect the serialization
> "mode" - for example "xml" or "json".
>
> But maybe there're other ideas to achieve this? Or, could it be that
> merging has no real benefit?

I'm still not sure there'd be a real benefit. It depends on how much
code would end up being shared. If a lot of code is shared it might make
sense to merge them (or factor the code out into a general schema-based
serialization and deserialization framework). If it turns out your
improvements to z3c.schema2json also make sense in z3c.schema2xml then
that's an argument in favor of sharing code between them.

Regards,

Martijn