[Zope-dev] implementing zope.component 4.0

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Nov 27 13:06:54 EST 2009

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Introduction
> ------------
>
> So now that we've had some discussion and to exit the "bikeshed" phase,
> let's see about getting some volunteers to work on this.
>
> The goal here is to make interfaces disappear into the language as much
> as possible.

I suggest we think to ourselves who the primary beneficiary of this goal is.  I
don't really disagree with anything you say here in absolute terms, but if the
goal is increased adoption by new users, I think there are (relatively) more
fundamental things that could be done to help.

In particular, I'd suggest we write real documentation for the current
zope.component package.  When I say "real documentation", I mean something like
this: http://docs.repoze.org/component/.  "Official" docs for the package itself.

Once you start writing documentation, obvious refactoring opportunities often
fall out that are more important than adding another layer of abstraction.  I
think adding more abstraction without documenting the current system will not
serve a goal of increasing adoption.

- C