[Zope-dev] implementing zope.component 4.0

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon Nov 30 08:47:34 EST 2009

On 11/30/09 14:45 , Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>  wrote:
>> We could also say that we will clean up the API when we move to Python
>> 3. That is a natural breaking point anyway, so it will not any extra
>> pain for users of the ZCA.
>
> Except that is precisely what the Python developers have asked
> everyone not to do. So far the story is that the upgrade to Python 3
> can be done largely automatic and a codebase for 2.x and 3.x can be
> maintained automatically and kept in sync.

In theory. I am convinced that in practice you well end up with code
that is un-pretty in both python 2.x and 3.x, and harder to debug.
Python 3 also introduces changes that warrant API changes, so not making
them could lead to awkward APIs. Personally I will take the liberty to
change the API of any of my packages if and when I port them to Python 3.

Wichert.