[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.security/trunk/ keep trunk version at 0. Update changes

Benji York benji at zope.com
Thu Sep 10 16:23:31 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Alex Chapman<achapman at zope.com> wrote:
>> Log message for revision 103721:
>>  keep trunk version at 0. Update changes
>
> I think I've seen the practice of denoting the version on trunk as
> "zero" from Jim already.
>
> It is in conflict with
> http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/process/releasing-software.html
> though.
>
> The majority of packages still uses the "version='3.4.2dev'" scheme
> for trunk or branches. Pointing to the next release to be made with a
> dev marker.
>
> Are there any particular reasons, why this policy should be changed?

I like "0" for two reasons:

1) it doesn't require predicting what the next release will be,

2) if you accidentally make a trunk release no one will accedentally use it
   because it will be the "oldest" release on PyPI instead of the newest,

Three, I like it for three reasons:

3) so superfluous version bumps on the trunk

Amongst the reasons I like it are that:

- when using a checkout as a develop egg you don't have to worry about finding
  out the exact version used on the trunk, you can always just use 0.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer