[Zope-dev] official release policy ZTK is still not changed

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Sep 15 04:55:46 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-11, Benji York <benji at zope.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Martijn Faassen
>> <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>>> * I (and others) use tools to do releases (zest.releaser in my case).
>>> These tools are based on this policy. Changing the policy breaks the tools.
>>
>> The proposed change would make this tool simpler.

zest.releaser's job would not become simpler.  It currently grabs the version
(with or without dev marker) from either version.txt (old projects or
non-setup.py stuff) or the setup.py.  Suddenly it is '0' instead of '1.2dev'.
What's it going to suggest as new version?  Yeah, it grabs the tags from
subversion so it *can* make a decent guess.  But you cannot easily register "I
want this to become 2.0" anymore.

>>  More importantly,
>> it makes things simpler for people who don't use the tool.
> +1 -- reducing the number of tools necessary to (easily) accomplish a
> particular task is valuable.

I'd rather do a "bin/fullrelease" (one step) instead of following a 7-step
method to properly release a package.  And setting the version to 0 only adds
one more potential error point: where do you look up the next version?
Someone might have forgotten to tag the previous release (if you look at tags)
or might have forgotten to update the CHANGES.txt (if you look at that) or
have not uploaded it to pypi (if you look at that).

People aren't that good at repetitive tasks.  Use a small tool like
zest.releaser (or collective.releaser if you don't mind occasional 1.2-r1234
releases as that uses the setup.cfg for the dev marker).  Use such a tool and
you won't have to bash yourself or co-workers for

- forgetting to tag a release.

- forgetting to use 'register' in 'sdist upload register' so that the
  documentation on pypi isn't updated.

- forgetting to remove a dev marker (or changing the 0).

- Updating the changelog, preparing it for the next changes.

Well, we might as well do away with buildout.  Reducing the number of
tools...  Just do it by hand!

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org